Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Good baby? Good mommy? I'll go with both :)

Romeo is a very good baby in my opinion. He seems to only cry when he needs something and a lot of his awake time he is content to just sit and look around. But what I found out is that I think he is such a good baby because I hold him 24/7.

Mom got me this book, "The Happiest Baby on the Block," where this PHD guy spent his life figuring out how to help newborns calm themselves. I have really enjoyed reading it and I think the man is a genius. He says that newborns are looking for the 'fourth trimester.' This means we need to mock their life in the womb as much as possible until they learn to calm themselves on their own. His advice REALLY works. One of the things he says is that, in the womb a baby is 'held' ALL the time. If you hold them 12 hours out of the day after they are born, even though that seems like a ton to you, the baby feels like he's getting ripped off. Anyway so I hold him every second I can and I snuggle with him all night.

Yesterday was the first day when I didn't hold him very long. Bear has training for work in Ohio from Tuesday until Thursday so yesterday we took off on the 5ish hour drive to the training. This means the baby was strapped in the car seat for a long time. He did NOT like it. He did fine until the trip was just about over and he was crying non-stop. Once we got into our hotel room he would not stop loudly wailing unless I was VIGOROUSLY bouncing him (basically tossing him in the air). I had to do this literally non-stop until about 3:30 am..............................

Then we had to get up at 7:30................................ Poor Bear, he has to be tired in a boring training at least I get to chill in the hotel room............wifi.......cable.....Romeo's happier today :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you just imagine your baby wondering what the heck that car ride was all about after being held and comforted 24/7. Talk about inhuman waterboarding...

Anonymous said...

My baby a super mamma and loving every minute of it...Hannah my Hannah!

Sarah said...

Someday (and not in the immediate future!) I may need to borrow that book... :)

Sarah said...

Hey, did that author say anything about how to get school children to stop screaming?!?!

Anonymous said...

The constant holding reminds me of the Native American mothers with the baby strapped swaddled to her back and the Eskimo mother with baby swaddled to the front...

Anonymous said...

Babies are the greatest and our Almighty God is the Maker!

Hannah D said...

Sarah: you can def borrow it ;)
You could try and transfer the concepts to your school kids...
Would they behave better if you swaddled them tightly, turned them on their side, bounced them and 'shooshed' in their ear???? lol