Monday, October 05, 2009

Do not disapoint the blondes

So last year during the holiday season I worked as a Japanese interpreter at Coach. They called me again this year, asking me to work the season. I thought it might be nice, making extra cash, getting to spend time with adults, etc, and I was going to go. Then my car went on the fritz again, we thought we fixed it but now it's stalling out every five minutes (undriveable..). Driving a gas-guzzling-work truck to Novi doesn't sound like fun. Also Bear is getting really busy with work and wouldn't be around to watch Romeo like we had thought. So I was going to turn the job down.

I was supposed to go in on Sunday to fill out an application just to appease corporate but had decided to tell them in person I wasn't returning this season. Coach purses are really expensive. The majority of the people who buy them..well lets just say...the girls are not like me. They are the prissy girls, the cheerleaders, the "popular" ones and they are usually only your friend if you do what they want. I walked in to the impeccably clean store, Bear and I dressed very casual, greeted by the perfectly dressed, prim and proper associates that I used to work with. "Oh Hannah! I didn't recognize you...didn't your hair used to be...blonder?.." Out came the manager with a stern smile, pushing the application packet across the counter, while focusing all her attention on the one customer in the store. I froze..a group of ten ex-cheerleaders in suits are circling us with smiles while the manager is busy. What do I do?? How do I disappoint them? They're so smiley.... So I say, "Okay..thank you..I have to go!" Grab Bear, the packet and walk out... oops..
Well I ended up calling the assistant manager the next day, who I can relate to much better, and told her the story but man did I panic before..

Romeo is great still having tons of fun. We just got a wood stove and are currently enjoying a wonderful fire while Romeo is in dream land the grown ups relax. Goodnight moon.

6 comments:

Max said...

Sometimes social pressure is a lot more powerful than we would expect. Just like my arms.

Anonymous said...

Max! :)
Hannah--glad you guys got your wood stove going...nothing like relaxing by a fire! I can't imagine the fierce girl that could handle an ornery horse, play softball and tennis, go to college, travel the world, etc-- would be scared by a bunch of ex-cheer leaders...we females are a funny bunch aren't we? You are beautiful, don't ever forget that! Mom

Anonymous said...

Your mom (while she was having a panic attack) forgot to say how you sat on the edge of a Grand Canyon precipice on your 11th birtday with your goofy dad and those girls from Europe...

Hannah D said...

lol yes, nothing is more intimidating to me than some confident girly girls! I'd much rather work in the dirt or tackle a horse :)

Max--those skinny things??

Sarah said...

I miss cozy fires and a Michigan fall!!

Hannah said...

Yea I'm actually really enjoying the fall this year..